VALR Company Information
VALR has built South Africa’s leading cryptocurrency platform serving over 280,000 customers. We are proud to offer a suite of products that are helping increase economic freedom and build a financial system that recognizes the oneness of humankind.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at VALR, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture where we:
- Default to a high degree of autonomy and ownership combined with positive energy and truth-seeking
- Embrace feedback
- Disrupt ourselves
- Expect sustained high performance
Second, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Our first step on that journey is making digital currency accessible and approachable for everyone, which we’re working to achieve with our suite of products that serve South Africans and eventually customers globally.
With the above in mind and our goals of disrupting the financial system and serving humanity, we require unique, dedicated, and incredibly talented people to join the VALR family.
Lead Developer - TypeScript/Node.js
VALR is looking for experienced backend developers with a focus on blockchain and/or security, to join our Engineering Team to help us continue to deliver the best trading experience possible for our customers.
What would you be doing?
- Implementing new features to extend our blockchain integrations
- Keeping up with the latest crypto and blockchain research
- Understanding and applying security tools and techniques
- Writing easy to read, maintainable code
- Going above and beyond when the need arises
What are the requirements?
- 5+ years of experience working in production environments
- Designing and developing integrations into databases
- Creating backend REST & Websockets APIs
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to operate independently in a demanding and dynamic environment
- Strong sense of ownership
- Driven by a passion to learn constantly
- Critical thinker not afraid to make quick decisions and follow-through
- Ability to move quickly and adapt to a changing environment
Any nice to haves?
- Prior experience in a SecOps (or similar) role
- Familiarity with Google Cloud Platform and/or Amazon Web Services
- Passion for cryptocurrencies, blockchains, and alternative financial systems
- Experience working remotely in an early-stage startup environment
What you can expect from VALR
- Competitive salary: Get paid well to work in an exciting industry
- Leave: Flexible leave policy with 3 weeks minimum
- Remote work: Work from wherever you like
- Home office setup: Mac laptop and a discretionary allowance to buy all the extras needed to work happily from home - all of it yours to keep after 3 years
- Learning fund: R10,000 per employee per year for anything that helps you upskill for work, in addition to scheduled VALR training
- Performance bonus: When you contribute to VALR’s success, you’ll be rewarded with lucrative bonuses
- 3 months maternity and 1-month paternity paid leave
- Regular get-togethers outside of work (COVID permitting)
- Annual company retreats (COVID permitting)