VALR Company Information
VALR has built South Africa’s leading cryptocurrency platform serving over 280,000 customers. We are proud to offer a suite of products that are helping increase economic freedom and build a financial system that recognizes the oneness of humankind.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at VALR, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture where we:
- Default to a high degree of autonomy and ownership combined with positive energy and truth-seeking
- Embrace feedback
- Disrupt ourselves
- Expect sustained high performance
Second, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Our first step on that journey is making digital currency accessible and approachable for everyone, which we’re working to achieve with our suite of products that serve South Africans and eventually customers globally.
With the above in mind and our goals of disrupting the financial system and serving humanity, we require unique, dedicated, and incredibly talented people to join the VALR family.
Senior Full Stack Engineer (React/Node.js)
VALR is looking for experienced Full Stack engineers to join our Engineering Team to help us deliver the best experience possible for our customers.
What would you be doing
- Development of rich web applications using React and related technologies
- Developing backend services
- Designing and developing integrations into databases
- Integration with backend REST APIs and Websockets
- Writing easy to read, maintainable code
- Leading junior team members and helping them level up
- Working alongside our designers in order to convert designs into working frontend code
What we look for in you (i.e., job requirements)
- 5+ years of experience using web frameworks professionally
- Experience building backend services using NodeJS
- Experience working with database technologies
- Expertise in React, Redux and related technologies
- Solid understanding of version control, containerisation and CI/CD concepts
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to operate independently in a demanding and dynamic environment
- Strong sense of ownership
- Experience mentoring junior developers
- Driven by a passion to learn constantly
- Critical thinker not afraid to make quick decisions and follow through
- Ability to move quickly and adapt to a changing environment
Any nice to haves?
- Experience with React styled-components and hooks, Redux-Saga, PostgreSQL, Docker, Git or similar technologies
- Understanding of containerisation, CI/CD concepts
- Passion for cryptocurrencies and alternative financial systems
- Experience working remotely in an early stage startup environment
What you can expect from VALR
- Competitive salary: Get paid well to work in an exciting industry
- Leave: Flexible leave policy with 3 weeks minimum
- Remote work: Work from wherever you like
- Home office setup: Mac laptop and a discretionary allowance to buy all the extras needed to work happily from home - all of it yours to keep after 3 years
- Learning fund: R10,000 per employee per year for anything that helps you upskill for work, in addition to scheduled VALR training
- Performance bonus: When you contribute to VALR’s success, you’ll be rewarded with lucrative bonuses
- 3 months maternity and 1-month paternity paid leave
- Regular get-togethers outside of work (COVID permitting)
- Annual company retreats (COVID permitting)