Purpose of the job:
VALR is looking for seasoned backend software engineers with experience in building applications that are fast, accurate, scalable and secure to help us deliver the best experience possible to our customers.
We are seeking people with extensive knowledge of Kotlin or Java, or other JVM based languages. We’d also like to meet people with experience in other similar languages and technologies, even if we’re not actively using them, as long as they are willing to make the switch.
What will you be doing:
- Build best-in-class product features
- Create troubleshooting tools
- Implement internal processes and tooling
- Extend and improve our API
- Write easy to read, maintainable code
- Collaborate closely within a cross-functional team to build valuable product features, with a focus on scalable backend solutions
- Develop RESTful APIs and microservices
- Optimise and scale backend systems to handle high traffic volumes and ensure low-latency responses
- Participate in code reviews, automated testing, and continuous integration to maintain code quality
What we look for in you:
Skills relevant to the job include the education and/or experience, specialised training, and competencies required:
- Formal software engineering qualification not required but in-depth software engineering experience essential
- Practical experience is more relevant than a formal qualification
- 6+ years experience working in production environments
- Experience in building and integrating with REST API’s and/or Websockets
- Solid understanding of version control, containerisation and CI/CD concepts
- Familiarity with Google Cloud Platform and/or AWS
- Experience creating troubleshooting tools
- Designing and developing integrations into databases
- Passion for cryptocurrencies and alternative financial systems
- The ability to work collaboratively in a team
- A natural inclination to help people and the ability to explain technical details simply
What can you expect from VALR:
- Competitive salary: Get paid well to work in an exciting industry.
- Leave: Compliance with statutory leave required by individual countries, in addition to flexible leave.
- Remote work: Work from wherever you like - Employees to ensure that there is secure, stable internet connectivity in order to effectively work remotely.
- Home office setup: Mac laptop and a discretionary allowance to buy all the extras needed to work happily from home - all of it yours to keep after 3 years. Terms and Conditions will apply.
- Learning fund: An annual upskilling budget of R16,000 per employee, which will be converted to the respective currency of the employee's payment, in addition to scheduled VALR training.
- Performance bonus: When you contribute to VALR’s success, you’ll be rewarded with discretionary bonuses.
- Regular get-togethers outside of work.
- Annual company retreats.