VALR Company Information
VALR has built South Africa’s leading cryptocurrency platform serving over 280,000 customers. We are proud to offer a suite of products that are helping increase economic freedom and build a financial system that recognizes the oneness of humankind.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at VALR, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture where we:
- Default to a high degree of autonomy and ownership combined with positive energy and truth-seeking
- Embrace feedback
- Disrupt ourselves
- Expect sustained high performance
Second, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Our first step on that journey is making digital currency accessible and approachable for everyone, which we’re working to achieve with our suite of products that serve South Africans and eventually customers globally.
With the above in mind and our goals of disrupting the financial system and serving humanity, we require unique, dedicated, and incredibly talented people to join the VALR family.
Senior Security Engineer
VALR is looking for experienced security engineers to join our Engineering Team to help us deliver the best trading experience possible.
What would you be doing?
- Assist Infrastructure engineers develop secure systems by advising on secure patterns and practices
- Design and implement new controls into the VALR infrastructure platform that enhance the depth of our defence
- Integrate new secure design patterns into the VALR infrastructure platform that broaden what our engineers can do safely
What we look for in you
- You exhibit these strengths: positive energy, clear communication, continuous learning, and efficient execution
- You have strong threat modelling skills to enable you to understand systems and what can go wrong
- You have experience with cloud-native architectures
- Implementing Kubernetes security and hardening
- Experience with Google/AWS Cloud
- Scripting and software engineering skills
- Container vulnerability scanning
- Good knowledge of CI/CD and DevOps principles
Nice to haves
- You enjoy working through complex problems and datasets
- You have Interest in modern data management tools that help us find signal in the noise
- You have interest in cryptography or privacy engineering
- You have experience working in a high security and/or highly regulated industry - to build highly constrained architectures that are as painless as possible, while remaining highly transparent for ease of compliance and audit
- Passion for cryptocurrencies and alternative financial systems
- Experience working remotely in an early stage startup environment
- A natural inclination to help people and the ability to explain technical details simply
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to operate independently in a demanding and dynamic environment
- Strong sense of ownership
- Driven by a passion to learn constantly
- Critical thinker not afraid to make quick decisions and follow through
- Ability to move quickly and adapt to a changing environment
What you can expect from VALR
- Competitive salary: Get paid well to work in an exciting industry
- Leave: Flexible leave policy with 3 weeks minimum
- Remote work: Work from wherever you like
- Home office setup: Mac laptop and a discretionary allowance to buy all the extras needed to work happily from home - all of it yours to keep after 3 years
- Learning fund: R10,000 per employee per year for anything that helps you upskill for work, in addition to scheduled VALR training
- Performance bonus: When you contribute to VALR’s success, you’ll be rewarded with lucrative bonuses
- 3 months maternity and 1-month paternity paid leave
- Regular get-togethers outside of work (COVID permitting)
- Annual company retreats (COVID permitting)