Job Description & Summary
We're looking for an experienced financial crime compliance analyst to join our compliance team.
- VALR has built South Africa’s leading cryptocurrency platform serving over 200,000 customers. We are proud to offer a suite of products that are helping build crypto adoption and increase economic freedom.
- There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at VALR, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance. Second, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
- VALR aims to build an open financial system that recognises the oneness of humankind. Our first step on that journey is making digital currency accessible and approachable for everyone, which we’re working to achieve with our suite of products that serve South Africans and eventually customers globally.
What you'll be doing:
- Manage investigations relating to Anti-Money Laundering by ensuring that the required SLA’s are achieved and taking appropriate action to ensure timelines are met.
- Manage all regulatory reporting including STRs, SARs among others and ensure that high-quality reporting is escalated to risk review forums and senior management.
- Manage the Customer Due Diligence process and collaborate closely with our onboarding team to effectively onboard genuine customers.
- Be the point of reference for our onboarding team for due diligence and know your customer matters.
- Conduct second reviews of clients’ applications (including KYC, risk assessment, and make sense analysis) and escalate where appropriate.
- Assist in conducting periodic client reviews and ongoing monitoring.
- Support the Head of Compliance with regulatory reviews and other risk management related projects.
What we look for in you:
- 3-5 years experience in anti-financial crime, AML or compliance, preferably through working at a financial institution or fintech.
- Sound knowledge of international regulations in AML / CTF / Sanctions and other financial crime-related acts.
- Experience executing projects against defined timelines.
- Hardworking and attentive to detail.
- Strong communication skills in English (both written and verbal).
- Critical thinking, problem-solving, and research skills.
- Strong time management and multitasking skills.
- Strong organisational skills and ability to lead oneself without oversight.
Nice to haves:
- Experience in working with a fintech or business in the crypto industry.
- A practical and pragmatic approach to compliance.
- Understanding and familiarity with cryptocurrency, Defi, staking, fintech
- An understanding of proposed regulations for the cryptocurrency space, specifically the latest IFWG position paper on crypto assets.
What you can expect from VALR:
- Competitive salary: Get paid well to work in an exciting industry.
- Leave: Flexible leave policy with three weeks minimum.
- Remote work: Work from wherever you like.
- Home office setup: Mac laptop and a discretionary allowance to buy all the extras needed to work happily from home - all of it yours to keep after three years.
- Learning fund: R10,000 per team member per year for anything that helps you upskill for work, in addition to scheduled VALR training.
- Performance bonus: When you contribute to VALR’s success, you’ll be rewarded with lucrative bonuses.
- Preferential Arbitrage Rates: Employees & immediate families get preferential rates when they use VALR Arbitrage valued at up to R55,000 per year per person.
- Three months maternity and 1-month paternity paid leave
- Regular get-togethers outside of work (COVID permitting)
- Annual company retreats (COVID permitting)