VALR has built South Africa’s leading cryptocurrency platform serving over 160,000 customers. We are proud to offer a suite of products that are helping build crypto adoption and increase economic freedom.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at VALR, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance. Second, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
VALR aims to build an open financial system that recognises the oneness of humankind. Our first step on that journey is making digital currency accessible and approachable for everyone, which we’re working to achieve with our suite of products that serve South Africans and eventually customers globally.
- We're looking for an experienced financial manager to join our operations team.
- A great candidate is likely to be a crypto fanatic who has a deep interest in the crypto space and is looking for an opportunity to learn about this industry and contribute to the growth of VALR.
- Important characteristics include the capacity to get stuff done, lead ones self without significant guidance and desire to work across both financial and operational parts of VALR;
a startup operating in a fast-paced environment. Everyone here works
exceptionally hard. You must be willing to work some evenings and
weekends where necessary.
What you'll be doing:
- Manage the monthly reporting process, including management accounts and VAT returns.
- Manage annual financial reporting to our shareholders and other stakeholders.
- Manage all regulatory reporting, including for tax and any other compliance reasons.
- Build on internal reporting analytics, select for KPIs and report on these to the team.
- Build a core team around you to build our finance function.
- Work with our management team on financial aspects of improving existing products and building new products.
What we look for in you:
- 2+ years post qualification experience as a Chartered Accountant, preferably as a financial manager for a financial services business.
- Strong analytic skills and a demonstrated sense of ownership and accountability.
- Strong English communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Critical thinking, problem solving, and research skills.
- Strong time management and multitasking skills.
- Strong organisational skills and ability to lead oneself without oversight.
Nice to haves:
- Experience in working with startups or in the crypto industry.
- Understanding and familiarity with cryptocurrency, DeFi, staking, fintech.
What you can expect from VALR:
- Competitive salary: Get paid well to work in an exciting industry
- Leave: Flexible leave policy with 3 weeks minimum
- Remote work : Work from wherever you like
- Home office setup : Mac laptop and a discretionary allowance to buy all the extras needed to work happily from home - all of it yours to keep after 3 years
- Learning fund: R10,000 per employee per year for anything that helps you upskill for work, in addition to scheduled VALR training
- Performance bonus : When you contribute to VALR’s success, you’ll be rewarded with lucrative bonuses
- Preferential Arbitrage Rates : Employees & immediate family get preferential rates when they use VALR Arbitrage valued at up to R35,000 per year per person
- 3 months maternity and 1 month paternity paid leave
- Regular get togethers outside of work (COVID permitting)
- Annual company retreats (COVID permitting)