VALR Company Information
VALR has built the largest cryptocurrency platform headquartered in Africa, serving over 300,000 customers. We are proud to offer a suite of products that help to increase economic freedom and to build a financial system that recognizes the oneness of humankind.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at VALR, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture where we:
- Default to a high degree of autonomy and ownership combined with positive energy and truth-seeking
- Embrace feedback
- Disrupt ourselves
- Expect sustained high performance
Second, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Our first step on that journey is making digital currency accessible and approachable for everyone, which we’re working to achieve with our suite of products.
With the above in mind and our goals of disrupting the financial system and serving humanity, we require unique, dedicated and incredibly talented people to join the VALR team.
Senior Payroll Specialist
VALR is looking for a Senior Payroll Specialist to join our dynamic Finance team. The ideal candidate will be responsible for managing and ensuring effectiveness of all payroll administration and related services, in South Africa and all other international jurisdictions in which VALR operates, as well as ensuring the effective alignment of VALR’s policies, procedures and contracts to support the business strategy.
What would you be doing?
- Be fully accountable for the payroll function in SA and in international entities.
- Verify payroll test runs and ensure that any discrepancies are resolved, balancing the payroll to the general ledger.
- Ensure full adherence to legislative compliance especially payroll and tax requirements, both locally in SA and in international jurisdictions.
- Ensure timeous payments of third-party payments, such as medical aid and provident fund providers, including timeous reconciliations.
- Ensure timeous payments, tracking and reporting of employee claims and leave.
- Develop and implement control systems and processes to ensure compliance and success of all payroll activities, locally in SA and in international jurisdictions.
- Proactively plan, organise and monitor all payroll and related activities.
- Oversee system integrations between HR and global payroll systems.
- Build and maintain successful relationships with all relevant third parties such as tax authorities, banks and service providers.
- Critically assess all compliance and legislative reporting requirements, both locally in SA and in international jurisdictions, to ensure compliance and timeous submissions of all such reporting requirements.
- Manage and attend to all payroll queries.
- Create, review and drive best practices related to payroll.
- Work collaboratively with internal stakeholders, in particular the HR, Finance, Legal and Compliance teams.
What we look for in you?
- Bachelor’s degree (Accounting, Business Administration, Legal, Human Resources or related field).
- Minimum of 7 years payroll experience in a global Fintech or professional services environment.
- Detailed knowledge of accounting and payroll systems, procedures, and familiarity with related labour and tax legislation.
- Tech savvy as well as proficient in Google Suite, specifically google sheets including advanced formula functions (Vlookups, Pivot tables, IF statements)
- Experience with international payroll systems/software, solutions, services (such as Deel) and related processes.
- Experience of working for a multinational would be a significant advantage.
- Highly analytical, accurate, and detail-oriented. Can manage ambiguity, risk, and changing the direction of projects and strategies
- Excellent knowledge of payroll functions including preparation, balancing, internal controls and payroll taxes.
- Proficiency in all things Google.
- Strong analytical skills.
- High level of confidentiality.
- Strong problem solving capabilities.
- Sound judgment i.e. the ability to know when to timeously escalate a problem.
- Forward thinking with industry knowledge.
Nice to haves
- Passion for cryptocurrencies and alternative financial systems.
- Experience working remotely in an early stage startup environment.
- A natural inclination to help people.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to operate independently in a demanding and dynamic environment.
- Strong sense of ownership.
- Driven by a passion to learn constantly.
- Critical thinker not afraid to make quick decisions and follow through.
- Ability to move quickly and adapt to a changing environment.
What you can expect from VALR?
- Competitive salary: Get paid well to work in an exciting industry
- Leave: Flexible leave policy with 3 weeks minimum
- Remote work: Work from wherever you like - Employees to ensure that there is secure, stable internet connectivity in order to effectively work remotely
- Home office setup: Mac laptop and a discretionary allowance to buy all the extras needed to work happily from home - all of it yours to keep after 3 years
- Learning fund: R10,000 per employee per year for anything that helps you upskill for work, in addition to scheduled VALR training
- Performance bonus: When you contribute to VALR’s success, you will be rewarded with discretionary bonuses
- 3 months maternity and 1 month paternity paid leave
- Regular get-togethers outside of work
- Annual company retreats